By Claire Castillo
INDIANAPOLIS—More information has become available about the upcoming public redistricting meetings scheduled to take place later this week, including how citizens can participate.
“The public will be asked to sign up at the meeting if they plan to comment,” said House Speaker Todd Huston. “Any COVID-19 safety protocols of the host campus or Statehouse will be followed,”
The meeting chairperson will give opening remarks before moving to public testimony and, similar to other committee meetings, Huston said, the chair will determine the time limit.
More exact locations also have been released for the meetings:
- Lafayette Ivy Tech campus: 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Aug. 6
- 3101 South Creasy Lane, Lafayette
- Anderson Ivy Tech campus: 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Aug. 6
- 815 E. 60th St., Anderson
- Valparaiso Ivy Tech campus: 3-5 p.m. CDT Friday, Aug. 6
- 3100 Ivy Tech Drive, Valparaiso
- Columbus Ivy Tech campus: 4-6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 6
- 4475 Central Ave., Columbus
- Fort Wayne Ivy Tech campus: 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 7
- 3800 North Anthony Blvd., Fort Wayne
- Evansville Ivy Tech campus: 9-11 a.m. CDT Saturday, Aug. 7
- 3501 N. First Ave., Evansville
- Elkhart Ivy Tech campus: 4-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7
- 22531 County Road 18, Goshen
- Sellersburg Ivy Tech campus: 4-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7
- 204 County Road 311, Sellersburg
- Indianapolis Statehouse: 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 11
- House Chamber, 200 W Washington St., Indianapolis
Live video links for these hearings can be found at iga.in.gov.
Redistricting was held off this year due to the U.S. Census being delayed because of COVID-19. The proposed new maps are not expected to be released for weeks. The entire process of redistricting will be finalized in mid to late September as legislators return to the Statehouse.
Claire Castillo is a reporter for TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students.